Microsoft word - course outline of phrm-409 _advanced pharmaceutical analysis_ fall 2012
Course Information and Outline
PHRM 409: Advanced Pharmaceutical Analysis [Credit: 4]
Department of Pharmacy Instructor: Dr. Chowdhury Faiz Hossain,
Professor and Dean, FSE.
Class Hours: 12:40 1:40
To give some ideas on advanced level about the principles and applications of NMR
spectroscopy and Mass spectrometry in order to understand how to characterize the structure of an unknown compound. And combined application of all spectroscopic methods.
To enable the students understand the principles of and applications of HPLC in advanced
To enable the students acquainted with some advanced analytical techniques for pharmaceutical
products like atomic absorption spectroscopy and radioimmunoassay
DESCRIPTION OF THE TOPICS:
1. High Performance Liquid Chromatography (HPLC)
Objectives of using HPLC techniques, principle, instrumentation, different types of column used in HPLC techniques with their uses, chemistry stationary and mobile phases and their retention mechanism, application of HPLC in pharmaceutical analysis.
1H- and 13C-Nuclear Magnetic Resonance Spectroscopy
Introduction, theory and principle of NMR, Instrumentation, chemical shift of NMR, spin-spin interactions, interpretation of a NMR spectrum, relative peak area, multiplicity of the signal and coupling constant, applications of NMR spectroscopy in pharmaceutical analysis.
3. Mass Spectrometry
Introduction, basic principle/theory, instrumentation, mass spectrum, molecular ion or parent ions, mass fragmentation, determination of molecular formula.
4. Combined applications of UV, IR, NMR and MS for structural elucidation
Practice of the determination of the structures of unknown compounds by utilizing the data gained from UV, IR, NMR and MS.
5. Atomic absorption spectroscopy
Basic concepts of atomic absorption spectroscopy, its distinction from other spectroscopic techniques, merits and demerits, instrumentation, important aspects of AAS and its application in pharmaceutical analysis like assay of total zinc in Insulin Zinc suspension.
Introduction, theory, instrumentation, methodology of the assay, applications of radioimmunoassay (RIA) in pharmaceutical analysis like radioimmunoassay of morphine, flurazepam, barbiturates, etc.
1. Determination of the potency of acetaminophen from paracetamol tablet dosage form by UV
2. Preparation of standard curve (absorbance versus concentration) of paracetamol at different
3. Determination of the potency of cetirizine from cetirizine HCl preparation by UV
4. Identification of the desired component by Thin-layer chromatographic (TLC) analysis of
Students will be evaluated through the events as follows: Events
Class participation /Attendance 05% Class tests/quiz (announced / unannounced) 10% Lab (practical +oral)
1. Introduction to Spectroscopy By Donald L. Pavia, Gary M. Lampman, George S. Kriz 2. HPLC for Pharmaceutical Scientists by Yuri Kazakevich and Rosario Lobrutto 3. Practical High-Performance Liquid Chromatography by Veronika R. Meyer 4. Analytical Instrumentation By Gillian Mcmahon 5. HandBook of Pharmaceutical Analysis by HPLC by Ahuza and Dong 6. Immunoassay A Practical Guide – By Brian Law 7. Pharmaceutical Analysis - By David G. Watson 8. Lecture and Lecture materials (slides)
Attendance Policy: 20% or more absences of the class session for the semester constitutes
unsatisfactory attendance and will place in jeopardy of being dropped from the course with the Final
Grade of ‘F’.
Quizzes and tests: Written Quizzes and tests will be given regularly with or without prior notice
throughout the semester.
1. CHEMICAL PRODUCT AND COMPANY IDENTIFICATION (For more information please refer to our technical information sheet)Belgium : +32 70 245 245Switzerland : +41 01 251 51 512.1. Classification of the substanceor mixture: No particular risk when handled in accordance with good occupational hygiene: Presents no particular risk to the environment, provided the recommendationsconcerning disposal
Los Angeles County Department of Public Health New Flu A H1N1 Update Noon, Wednesday, May 13, 2009 New Flu A H1N1 (Previously called Swine Flu) Update Noon, Wednesday, May 13, 2009 CURRENT STATUS There are 28 confirmed cases of new flu A H1N1 in the Los Angeles County; 36 probable cases are pending confirmation (case counts exclude Long Beach and Pasadena). Public Health con